Feeding Foundation kurssin päivitetty versio tulossa myyntiin Kaleidoskooppi
NOTE: This Course includes a 2-hour self-study module, focusing on systems and functions directly related to feeding, including breathing/airway and posture. Learners must complete the self-study module prior to participating in the workshop
Instructors: Vanessa Anderson Smith | Monica Purdy | Rehab Zaytoun
When you look through a kaleidoscope, there are many shapes and colors that create a picture. It may be blurry at first, but as you turn the kaleidoscope, the shapes and colors continue to change until you get a clear and complete picture.
Similarly, when a client comes to see a speech/feeding professional, the picture may seem a little out of focus because there may be myriad issues that are being presented usually all at once!
These are some of the many things speech and feeding professionals have to be aware of when assessing pediatric feeding clients:
- How are they sitting?
- What is their breathing like -- is it through their nose or their mouth?
- How is their coordination?
- Are there sensory regulation issues?
- How is their motor planning?
- Are they focused or distracted?
- Can they follow directions?
- How about their orofacial structure -- their head shape? their palate? are there tethered oral tissues?
- And how about the family dynamics -- what does mealtime look like?
When we observe our clients through the TalkTools® Kaleidoscope Feeding Model™, we can connect these interactive, interdependent aspects that define our clients' feeding patterns to build a clear, coherent treatment plan within the multidisciplinary team framework.
Participants in this course will experience hands-on, interactive learning with applicable techniques, case studies and evidence-informed, therapy-based strategies and solutions for overcoming feeding roadblocks across the pediatric spectrum:
- how and why feeding is the foundation for so many aspects of life
- breast/bottle feeding -- and the critical transition from breast/bottle to table
- identifying relevant anatomy and structures from an orofacial myofunctional perspective
- incorporating cultural considerations in treatment
- family dynamics awareness
- why OPT™/oral motor therapy can be the missing link in treatment
- utilizing the Focus and Reflect™ technique -- what? why? when? how? who? -- for practical and effective assessment and treatment
An extensive resource packet, including forms and checklists, is included.
The participant will be able to:
- Define the Kaleidoscope Feeding Model™
- List 2 structures/systems that impact feeding
- Identify 3 breastfeeding or bottle feeding issues
- Determine 4 potential feeding roadblocks
- Apply 2 Focus and Reflect™ assessment and treatment strategies
- Develop Kaleidoscope Feeding Model™ Treatment Plan